There are many good places to eat on this list but these are my “highly recommended” in the local area.
- Tank and Skinny Seaside, Buncrana pier – for its laid back vibe & sea views
- Nancy’s Barn, Ballyliffin village – for its award winning seafood chowder.
- The Red Door, Fahan village- for its fine dining and elegant interiors.
- The Coffee Cup, Fort Dunree – for its fabulous location & sea views.
- Mc Grorys, Culdaff village – for its great seafood selection (if you are out & about touring).
- The Foyle Hotel, Moville- for its celebrity Chef & award winning seafood (Re-opening TBC after Covid closure).
- Seaview Tavern, Malin Head – for the crab Mornay & crab toes (if you are out touring).
*** In case you travel further Harrys Shack on the beach in Port Stewart in Northern Ireland is fantastic. Book well in advance. +442870831783
Lots of Options
Restaurants – Buncrana Area
- Tank and Skinnys at the pier in Buncrana has a laid back vibe, good coffee, amazing cakes, decent food & the best sea views out every window!
- The Coffee Cup at Supervalu, Buncrana – Good for coffee and simple lunch.
- The Lake of Shadows Hotel – Delicious & BEST Value Full Irish Fry! (Before 11.30 Am) Casual all day dining in the Bar area. Book at weekends. Call 0749361005.
- Oscars, Main St, Buncrana – I have not eaten from here in quite a while even before lockdown. But they used to do a good BLT & decent fish and chips. Good veggie options available too.
- Ubiquitous, Main Street, Buncrana – Casual evening dining. Open evenings only.
- Sherpa Indian Restaurant, Main Street Buncrana – A popular Spot for tasty Indian food. A little tweaked for the Irish palate in my humble opinion. Still everybody loves it. (Chicken Balti is good). Call 074 9320978.
- The Lily Rose, Main Street, Buncrana – Casual during the day dining. Good for cakes and coffee, soups and sandwiches. (Closed evenings)
- Bella Forno, Main Street Buncrana – Casual Italian dining. Very tasty and authentic.
- The Fisherman’s Wharf, Church Street, Buncrana – Lovely spot for a freshly cut sandwich or just coffee and a cake. Excellent value. Open daily, closed evenings.
- The Corner Deli, Main St, Buncrana – Take out only. Excellent cakes, salads and sandwiches to take away. Superb! Their chocolate bomb pastry is world class!
- The Four Lanterns (Fast food) Main Street, Buncrana – McDonald’s style Burgers, chips etc. It is what it is.
- Abrakababra (Fast food), Main Street Buncrana – Kebabs, chips etc. It is what it is. (The Taco Chips are good though…)
- (Still Closed After Covid) The Drift Inn Bar and Restaurant – excellent food in their bar or restaurant. From 6 pm. The bar is open year round but in winter months food only served Thursdays to Sundays. Check in advance. Call 0749361999. Traditional music on Thurs evenings in the back bar. Fri and Sat night loud music in the back bar from 10 pm onwards. If you don’t like loud music in an old pub, stay well into the front section of the bar near the fireplace /front door area or plan to leave before 10 pm. This pub generally has a wonderful atmosphere, especially on Thursday for the traditional session.
Restaurants – Fahan Village Area
- The Red Door Country House- this is a very elegant country house restaurant in a wonderful setting overlooking Lough Swilly. Wonderful Food, fine dining, in a very elegant Georgian house. Casual grill nights on Thursdays. Booking always essential. Sunday Lunch is a delightful affair. Set menu Fri & Sat. it’s a great experience. Phone 0749360289.
- The Railway Tavern & Fire box grill – Used to be a favourite spot for steaks & burgers. BUT it changed hands and I cannot be sure if it stayed the same or not. If you do go try the crispy fried cabbage as a side. Apparently it’s still on the menu and it’s still delicious! Also a cosy bar just for a drink. Phone 0749360137. Open for food in the evenings throughout the winter.
Restaurants – Ballyliffin Village Area
- Nancy’s Barn –Winners of the World chowder Championships! (Rhode Island 2017). A delightful eatery, great seafood, Calamari & world winning chowder & Lots of other great dishes . The perfect spot for lunch after a walk on Ballyliffen’s pollen beach. Opening : Daily 9 – 6.00 pm. Open late Friday and sat till 8 pm. Phone 0868432897
- Jacks Place, BallyLiffin Lodge Hotel – A great restaurant as well as all day casual dining in their Bar. Good burgers and great fish and chips. Phone 0749378200.
- Links Restaurant, Ballyliffin Golf Club – Gets good reviews but I have not eaten here.
- Upper Hotel Ballyliffen – For An absolutely fabulous and great value Sunday lunch
Restaurants – Malin Head Area
- The Seaview Tavern – From 3 pm Daily Serves great Crab toes, Crab Bisque, Crab Morney, Mussels, Seafood platter and decent Fish & Chips. The original little old bar at the far right of the building is quirky as it functions as a bar, grocery store and fisher man’s hardware supplier. This place is all about the crab! It’s the only thing I eat there for some reason it’s only served after 3pm and it’s not on the Sunday lunch menu.
- Banba’s Crown Coffee Trailer- when you get right to the top of Irelands most Northerly point, there is decent coffee and homemade cakes for sale at this great customized coffee shop on wheels. The last cakes I had there were homemade and truly delicious. As it’s on wheels, I’m not sure if it’s still there though!
Traditional Music Pubs
The Rusty Nail, Clonmany 6-9pm
The Excelsior bar, Buncrana – 6-9pm
O’Flahertys Pub, Buncrana – 9-11pm
Drift Inn, Buncrana – 10-12 pm
Mc Feely’s Bar, Clonmany 9.30-12pm
The Cottage Bar, Buncrana 9.30-11.30 pm
McGrory’s, Culdaff – Times TBC